A lot has been written recently about the benefits of guest posting for the guest author. However, not much has been written from the perspective of the blog owner.
If you own a writing (or other topic) blog, you may be wondering whether you should accept guest posts on your blog. If so, this post is for you.
Pros of Accepting Guest Posts on Your Blog
There are many benefits to consider when deciding whether to accept guest posts on your writing blog. Here are a few:
- A guest post provides additional content for busy times when you may not be able to write a post.
- Guest posts are often offered to blog owners free of charge.
- Publishing one can expand your blog audience when your guest author’s fans discover your blog.
- You may build a new relationship with the guest post author.
- They can provide a fresh voice to your blog.
However, for each positive aspect of accepting guest posts, there is also a negative aspect.
Negatives of Accepting Guest Posts on Your Blog
Here are some of the negative aspects of accepting guest posts:
- Guest author may promise a post and not deliver.
- Guest author may deliver a post that does not fit your blog.
- You may have to reject a poorly written guest post.
- You will need to take the time to review, format, and possibly edit the guest post.
- Too many guest posts may cause your own voice to be diluted.
More Information to Consider Before Accepting Guest Posts
As you can see, the decision to accept guest posts on what has formerly been a single author blog is not to be taken lightly.
Here is some additional information on publishing guest posts:
- From Create A WebSite.com, 5 Reasons I’ll Reject Your Guest Post
- From Tricia.Me, Moms, Beware Guest Posts (written for Mommy Bloggers, but applicable to everyone)
- From Daily Blog Tips, Managing Guest Post Submissions Efficiently
Next week, I’ll take a look at guest posting from the perspective of the guest author.
You’ve probably noticed that I do accept guest posts here on WritingThoughts.
However, this blog is still primarily my voice to the writing world. For that reason, I screen potential posts very carefully and I ensure that the majority of posts published here are my own writing.
Do you accept guest posts? What has been your experience with it?