So, you’ve decided to create a blog post. Or perhaps, you want to publish an article on an Internet magazine.
Whatever it is, you will probably want to promote your piece through social media.
If what you are writing is going end up online, pay attention. There are certain steps you need to follow if you want to attract readers through social media.
9 Characteristics of Social Media Friendly Writing
Here are nine characteristics of writing for social media that leads to success:
- Know who you are writing for. Is your material for bloggers? Is it for consumers? Or, are you writing for a more specialized audience?
- Understand your audience. Use terms or phrases that your intended readers would likely use. If you can do it without destroying the flow of your piece, develop keywords from those terms and phrases.
- Research. Perform the research necessary to ensure that your writing contains unique and useful information. When appropriate, link to additional resources in your writing and/or embed videos and audio files.
- Create a web-friendly headline. Your headline should be short enough that users on social media sites (like Twitter) can easily share the link. Your headline needs to grab your reader’s attention so that they will click through to read your piece.
- Write a strong first paragraph. The first paragraph should captivate your audience and draw them into the rest of your piece. Without a strong first paragraph, your piece may not be read at all.
- Write the rest of your material. Make sure readers can scan your post or article quickly by using bullets and other web-friendly formatting.
- Select a captivating image. Your image should be related to your piece, but also graphically interesting. Be sure to use royalty-free or Creative Commons images. (Creative Commons photos must include attribution.)
- Ask for a response. End your article or post by asking the reader to respond. The desired response can be a comment, or you might want the reader to click on a link to gather more information.
- Include your information. Your piece should contain your complete contact information and a link to your company website so that readers can contact you or view more of your work.
Promote Your Work
Now you are ready to promote what you’ve written on social media.
Summarize your information in a few compelling sentences so that social media users can easily share your information. Encourage involvement by asking a question or inviting the social media audience to comment. Don’t forget to include a link back to your post or article.
Finally, track and measure your social media results using analytics tools to learn where you traffic has come from.
What additional tips about writing for social media would you include?