This is where we get to know one another a little bit better. I’d like to invite you to share the type of writing you do with WritingThoughts and with the readers here on the blog.
To help get the ball rolling, I’ve listed a number of writing professions below. Because I believe in the value of networking, I’ve also included a link to a national-level professional organization for each genre.
(Note: I am not specifically endorsing any of these organizations. My own positive experience is limited to the Society for Technical Communications.)
Have I missed a few genres of writing? Almost certainly, although not intentionally. That’s why I’m throwing this open to the readers. If you know of a genre and a national-level writing association please let me know so that I can include it here.
I learned a lot during the creation of this post. For example, I didn’t know that there was a society for dog writers. When I discovered that I searched and found a cat writers society also. (Welcome to any visiting dog and cat writers!) I hope that you learn from this post also.
- Business Writers. Society of American Business Editors and Writers Inc.
- Cat Writers. Cat Writers’ Association, Inc.
- Construction Writers. Construction Writers Association.
- Christian Writers. American Christian Writers.
- Dog Writers. Dog Writers Association.
- Education Writers. Education Writers Association.
- Environment. Society of Environmental Journalists.
- Football Writers. Footballwriter’s Association of America.
- Golf Writers. Golf Writers Association of America.
- Greeting Card Writers. Greeting Card Association.
- Horror Writers. Horror Writers Association.
- Journalists. Society of Professional Journalists.
- Medical Writers. American Medical Writers Association.
- Mystery Writers. Mystery Writers of America.
- Poets. Poetry Society of America.
- Romance Writers. Romance Writers of America®.
- Science Writers. National Association of Science Writers.
- SciFi Writers. Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc.
- Technical Writers. Society for Technical Communication.
- Trainers. American Society for Training & Development.
- Web Content Writers. The HTML Writers Guild.
I was looking for organizations for SEO writers and marketing writers, but failed find any. Perhaps one of you can help me?
Now, let’s hear from you. What type of writing do you do?
Contents (c) Copyright 2007, Laura Spencer. All rights reserved.