Yesterday I started a series discussing the value of forum participation for writers. The posts in this series include:
- Why forum participation is helpful to writers
- Writer’s forums that I have checked out (today’s post)
- Blogger’s forums that I have checked out
As I indicated in my earlier post, I have benefited greatly from participating in various forums. Today, I am going to share some of my favorite writer’s forums with you.
Here are my favorite writer’s forums:
- WAHMs Who Write at the WAHM message boards. When I look back over my blog statistics, this forum is always one of the top referral links. This particular forum is geared towards work-at-home moms (WAHMs) who write either part-time or full-time. (There are some work-at-home dads there too.) There is always something new happening in this forum. Topics range from job leads to questions about jobs to just plain venting. I find the WAHMs to be a friendly and passionate group.
- Absolute Write Water Cooler. This forum has a massive amount of information. Everything from Writing Novels to Story Research to Historical Writing has its own folder. According to the forum statistics there are 13, 681 registered members. I lurked here for months, overwhelmed at the vast number of topics. If I had been active in this forum sooner I probably would have more traffic coming to my blog from this site.
- The Writer’s Forum at the popular Writer’s Digest. I have to admit that joining this forum is still on my to do list. However, I’ve lurked there and found lots of good writing tips. It looks like a great place to go and talk shop.
- Forums related to websites where you can submit writing. Typically, you have to register to view these forums. Constant Content also has a forum for their authors. If you submit to a large site regularly, consider asking if they have a writer’s forum–It could.
Don’t hesitate to submit additional writer’s forums that you have personal experience with in a comment or email. I’d love to discover some great new forums.
Who knows? If enough people submit their favorite writing forums I might even have enough for a post on reader-recommended writer forums.
Don’t miss tomorrow’s post on forums for bloggers.
Contents (c) Copyright 2007, Laura Spencer. All rights reserved.